Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Turning Heads

So I'm going to assume that if you are actually reading my blog you are aware of my extreme size. I'm 6'10''. I'm thankful for every inch. I love being tall! It is quite an advantage in basketball and ultimate frisbee and many other sports. Walking around in public is interesting though, as I'm sure some of you can attest to. I don't know what it is but I have come to the realization that a lot of people think that I am blind and deaf.

A couple weeks ago I was walking in to the church to go to Lighthouse. There were like three little groups of people standing and talking in little circles. This is usually how it goes: The person on the opposite side of the circle to me, who can see me clearly, tries to subtly whisper to the rest of the group, informing them of my existence. The whole group, then, thinks that they can all turn around at the same time and stare at me without my noticing. I notice. Occasionally, depending on how blatantly they stare at me, I respond by smiling, nodding, and saying something like "Yeah, I'm tall...". So I walk past the three little groups of people and what I just explained happened every time.

It's hilarious when I'm walking around and as I get close to a couple people having a conversation, and as I get closer the person who is talking, stops. After they think I'm out of earshot whispering ensues. I usually hear every word.

Here is a list of popular phrases:
-"He's SO tall!"
-"Did you see how tall he was?"
-"Did you see the size of his feet?"
-"He's a giant!"
-"He's HUGE!"
-"AHHHH!"

I could go on for hours.





All this to say: I always prefer when people tell me directly apposed to whispering behind my back. It just gets really weird when everyone stares and whispers. It wouldn't be so weird if it only happened occasionally but it literally happens everywhere I go, with practically everyone I see. It just gets a little overwhelming sometimes. This is the kind of constant awkwardness that defines my life.

2 comments:

  1. It's the best when awkwardness defines your life =)chirp chirp... awkward!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha yes! I wouldn't trade it for anything. Thanks for 'liking' my blog post. =D

    ReplyDelete